Friday, February 1, 2013

Commitment To Self


One of the things I owe myself more than anything, is commitment.  I need to commit to myself and follow through with things as I do for others.  Far too often, I direct my attention to the needs of others, and away slips the things I promised myself I would do.

Do I have commitment issues? I would say, "no."  I am extremely committed to my relationship with Joe. I am committed to my friends and family. I am committed to my work wherever I have been employed. I am committed to taking care of my financial responsibilities. Why can't I make a commitment to myself?  Again, I have previously placed myself last on my list of priorities!  I don't even know how that's possible, but I have let it happen for too long.  My guess is, I'm not even close to being alone in this.

Now that I can see this scenario clearly, I have to make an effort to change it. I have to make an effort every day to make time for myself to slowly re-form this habit into something that benefits me. I don't have a huge list (yet), of all the individual things I want to commit to, but I know where to start.  I first need to commit to "working on change" in general.  I don't think I need to change myself necessarily, but there are, without a doubt, things that I can, change FOR myself.

Nobody that I know, can confidently say that their life is perfect.  If your life lacks perfection, there is room to make changes. But, first we have to be willing to commit to put forth the effort. No matter what, I think that change cannot take place without commitment, and commitment cannot take place without effort. 

Is there something you would like to change FOR yourself? Are you willing to commit to making the effort?




No comments:

Post a Comment