Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Why Stress?

How many things do you have to accomplish today? Tomorrow? Next week? If I asked myself those questions right now, I'd start stressing out because I'm sure the number is high.  I have been doing extremely well with remaining present. I've had a few slips, (I'm still practicing) but overall I've been quite successful.

If you focus on what you are doing in the moment, things start to settle down within you.  It's so easy for your mind to start wandering in multiple directions when we worry about everything other than what we're doing right now. Then that starts toying with your emotions, then your clarity and focus, then your blood pressure (if you're anything like me). Next thing you know, your snacking on something you may not really want to eat, or feel an urge to drink...whatever your "mind-easer" is. Then a few minutes later your back in the same vicious cycle.

I noticed as I went through this cycle, I would rarely feel a much needed sense of accomplishment.  The reason for that was, once I accomplished one thing, I didn't take time to appreciate it because my mind was already focused on all the other things I still hadn't done.  The whens and the hows really consumed the majority of my days resulting in stress. And that stress usually turned into more stress.

I still have a lot of work to do on myself, but I know where to channel my thoughts now. I can think of things I want to do, and set goals, but I need not worry right now about how that can happen. I need to be thankful for each day. I need to focus on the things at hand without worrying about what comes next. How do I feel right now? What I can appreciate today? Is the weather nice enough to go for a quick walk? 

It is the best, and most natural way to start living stress free, or at least with less stress.  Be present.

What worries from yesterday and tomorrow can you eliminate today?




No comments:

Post a Comment