Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Holiday Weekend

I'll start by saying that Saturday was a good day. Meaning, I did yoga and wrote on this blog. But, Sunday and Monday I did neither of the two, as well as indulged in a few unhealthy snacks.  Does that mean they weren't also good days? Again I had a little debate in my head, but I think overall, they were good. I still made sure to do somethings for myself, and health was also involved (aside from some of my food choices).


First, we went shopping for new pots and pans. Why not? I got a few hundred dollars back on my tax return, and I was painfully tired of using old, mismatched, peeling-teflon, pans. I found a beautiful set of stainless steel pots and pans, WAY above what I'd normally spend on myself $$$. I justified this purchase for a couple reasons. One, this is a safe alternative to toxic teflon/nonstick surface pots/pans. Health Bonus! Two, they should last nearly forever, as opposed to the cheap ones I've been replacing every couple years. Three, I've been wanting them for YEARS.  Done.

Next, we decided we ALL needed a new (better) bed.  This kid's bed (they share a full-sized) was a hand-me-down and wasn't very comfortable at all. You know a bed is bad when a child complains of the comfort level.  And, our bed was fairly decent, but just not quite right for Joe and I. Plus we had been toying with the idea of getting a king size (we also had a full).  The kids however, love our bed.  The pillow top and added softness was just what they wanted. So, they got ours, and we splurged on a big bed.  What exactly is a splurge for us?  A bargain usually shows up at just the perfect time. We found an older couple who had bought this bed (mattress to be exact) for nearly $2,000, barely used it, and they decided it was too soft for them.  So we scored it for ...wait for it...$300!!!  Now that is a steal for the practically new bed from heaven.  Of course these changes in sleeping arrangements improve health.  Health can't survive when you aren't properly rested.  My only problem now might be my new found desire to stay in bed!  It's truly amazing. Joe is in love with the bed as well.  He was having some problems sleeping though the night on the last bed.

The last thing I did was take some time COMPLETELY alone yesterday. I went and got a hair wash and cut.  Getting my hairwashed is one of the most relaxing things I could do for myself. It just feels so fantasitc to me!  Then I went and treated myself to a frappacino at Starbucks (which I never do), then drove down to Goodwill.  This may not sound like an exciting day to many people, but I truly enjoyed myself.  Going to the thrift store alone really is fun. I love searching for nothing in particular and seeing what I actually leave with. Yesterday it was 6 books, an organizer for the kids bathroom, a super cute tunic for myself, and a couple cute tops for the girls.  The key to enjoyiung the thrift store for me, is going by myself.  Because I can take as long as I want!

Overall, great weekend!  Make sure to make time for yourself, and do things for yourself, and occasionally buy things for yourself.  You deserve it!

Now, back to focusing on yoga and eating well...




No comments:

Post a Comment