Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Why Weight?

So many people these days, including myself, have struggled with weight issues.  Many of those same people are no stranger to several failed diets and discouraging scales.  Why?

We're focusing on the wrong thing.  Does weight really matter? Does the scale really determine what you should look like?  It can't even see you!  Visually, everyone wants to look great to others, and in front of the mirror. Then, "feeling better," is commonly the runner up.  Not always, but in most cases I've found this to be true with myself and others.

I'm no pioneer to this thought, but I'm finally BELIEVING it.  I must think of improving my HEALTH first, then the fat (not weight), will start to disappear. Weight doesn't matter.  I should have known this for years but it's been hiding in the back of my mind.  Example:  When I was 15 years old I remember being at the doctor. I was weighed in at 135 lbs and I was just over 5'3".  The doctor told me, based only on weight and height, that I should be 115lbs so I was 20 lbs overweight.  Guess what size I wore?  A SIZE 3!!!  How the hell could I possibly lose any weight?  That was the thinnest I've ever been in my full grown frame!  At that time I was swimming and dancing and my muscle mass was making up that "weight."  And that is EXACTLY why the concept of "weight-loss" should be ignored. 

Nowadays I couldn't imagine fitting in 3 again...that's probably the size of my thigh. But I don't feel the need to worry about getting there in a hurry. Really, I don't need to worry about getting there at all. Goals are good, and yes I'd like to wear smaller clothes, but a 3 is a little not even on my list of things to visualize.

Right now and each day to come, I will continue to focus on my health, and place "feeling better" first on my list.  So far, so good!  In the past few weeks of doing yoga daily, in conjunction with eating better and eliminating alcohol, I have noticed several changes in my body and mind.  I have been less stressed and irritable (this alone is a HUGE success). I have noticed increased strength and flexibility as I do my sequences/poses. My pants fit better?  Whoa!  What do ya know? I guess it just comes with the package.  You know what else came in that package?  Boosts of both self-confidence, and motivation.  This approach doesn't allow much room for disappointment.  I'm not expecting the scale to show me a smaller number to justify progress.  I don't need to see a smaller circumference when I wrap a measuring tape around my stomach, only to wonder if I got the measurement from the same exact location the day before. Ignore those misleading tools.  

I will focus on continually improving my health and wellness one day at a time.  The better I feel, the more likely I am to continue developing new healthy habits.  Are you willing to try the same? 



   


No comments:

Post a Comment