Friday, January 25, 2013

Choices

Yesterday I mentioned how I've taken wrong turns, and it may have seemed as though I was blaming those turns on other people.  I wasn't. I made a choice. Every single thing I've ever done in my life was my choice, regardless of it's influence. Many people don't realize that, and I was one of them. So many people don't take responsibility for the negative things that occur in their lives, and that is a very unhealthy way to live in my opinion. All I'm saying is, from here on out, I will try my best to not allow outside influences to persuade my thoughts into a direction I don't want to go. It's hard, because like many others I live to take care of others, and put others before myself. 

One of the first things I realized I needed to do this year was improve my health.  HEALTH.  In the past I have said, "I need to lose weight." "I need to go on a diet."  "I need to go to the gym."  But I really wasn't addressing all aspects of my negative contributions to my health.  Because of the people around me, it was easier to make excuses for myself to "choose" unhealthy approaches to my days. Well now, I am not eliminating the people, I am eliminating the excuses.  They can do what they want. I have to choose what is best for Erin.  I need to make the choice to eat healthier foods. I need to make the choice to be more positive to reduce stress. I need to make the choice to stop drinking alcohol. I need to make the choice to find some form of exercise that I enjoy...because I tell ya, the gym is NOT for me. I will no longer try to choose that path because it's what I "should" do.  The gym doesn't work for me, and it might not work for you.

Today marks 3 weeks that I have taken an hour each day to practice yoga, and meditation...haven't missed a single day which is a HUGE accomplishment for me. This too, may not work for you, but it is what works for me.  The first yoga class I ever took was when I was about 17, maybe 18 years old.  Since then, I have taken classes here and there, but nothing on a regular basis. I've always loved it and been drawn to it.  But, I made excuses not to go.  Just like the pottery, I "wished" I could do yoga everyday, and "wished" I had more time for yoga.  Well, the fact of the matter is I can do it, and I can make time. I just had to be willing to do it. I am willing now, so it too has been moved to my new, "I WILL" list. How can I do it? I have learned a lot about yoga over the years, but continue to learn things online still, and I practice in my home ALWAYS over the past few weeks. I don't take the time, nor do I really have the money to spend to go to a studio everyday (though I'd love to). But, that shaves off two of the excuses for not doing it.  I find my quiet place, at a quiet time, and work on me. Not motivated? Me neither some of the time, but I read something recently from a woman who does yoga daily, and she said there are days that she doesn't feel like doing it. Then she made a fantastic point which has been ingrained into my brain, and that is that the days you want to do it the least, are the days you probably need to do it the most. After doing yoga on the days I didn't feel like it, I came to the conclusion that she is absolutely right! Regardless or what you choose to do, I'm sure you can apply that to your life as well. 

Whether you choose to improve, or choose not to, you still have a choice to make. What will you choose?






No comments:

Post a Comment