Monday, January 28, 2013

Take care of you!

I really enjoy writing. It's relaxing, sometimes challenging, and often therapeutic. In saying that, this blog I'm writing is for me. That may sound weird because most people write blogs for others to read it...that's the point of blogs. My view: I look at is as more of a public place for me to write my thoughts, views, and eventually some experiences.  And, hopefully along the way, some will find inspiration or be able to relate to some of the things I share.

This writing is new time I am allotting for myself, along with pottery, yoga, meditation. I am taking baby steps in working in as many things for me as I possibly can, and I WILL continue to grow this list.

The things I listed are just a few things I am allowing myself time to do, but I also need to make changes within myself. I need to take better care of me, because in the big scheme of things, I've been coming in last on my list.  Is that the right way to live? Is that how we're supposed to do it? I'm sure you do that same.  Most people take care of everything BUT themselves, and I mean EVERYTHING BUT! Even people that think they only take care of themselves and are proud to be selfish and self-indulgent, are not taking care of themselves. I'll tell you why...

We'll start with the self-indulgent type that "thinks" they are taking care of themselves.  She could spend up to thousands of dollars a year on tanning (harmful), hair-dying/chem treatments (harmful), make-up (damaging), clothes/shoes/accessories (disposable), flashy car (disposable), top-shelf alcohol for fancy martini's (harmful).  These are all part of a costume. This is maintaining an image of how she wants others to see her.  This is "fabulous."  At the end of the day, is she really taking care of her "self?" Nope.  If everything was stripped away tomorrow, she'd have nothing but her physical and emotional health, and it what condition would that be in? 

Now we'll look at an average person. We'll use myself as an example.  I live with my boyfriend Joe, and we have his two daughters full-time.  We also have 2 dogs, a cat and a bird. I also have a "job." From the time I awake in the morning, my energy is dispersed amongst all of that.  I help to make sure the kids stay on track getting ready for school. I let the dogs out to the bathroom. I make coffee or tea for Joe and I. I usually make sure he has something to eat before he leaves for the day. I take the bird out. I clock in for work (I work from home) and then...uuugghhhh, worry about all the many people I need to please for my job.  Oh yeah! I forgot to eat breakfast, or I suddenly feel rushed to get work done so I grab something unhealthy to eat, my morning is gone so I can't squeeze in a walk, I'm thinking ahead to my lunch break when I have to make a couple phone calls and pay a couple bills, then DAMN it! I didn't get a chance to have a decent lunch, so again grab something quick and gross to eat. Before I know it, work is over! Kids are home, help with homework, clean the house, let the dogs out a couple more times somewhere in there, run to the store, get things ready for dinner,cook dinner, serve dinner, clean up after dinner... I do shower and get dressed at some point or another during the day.  Sheesh!  I don't expect anyone to feel bad or anything because I do all of this, because TONS of people do this type of thing daily, and many have to squeeze in even more than this! My point is, because of all these things going on, and we take the time to take care of everything other than ourselves, we are missing out on nurturing one of the most important things we have in life. What is that?  Uhhh, our one life.  Our body. More specifically, the inside of our body. It's easy to ignore because we don't see it.

We only have one body and without that body, we have no life. So, when will you make time for you?  Not just the time to do fun things and live new experiences, but make time to take care of the core of You? I'm in the beginning stages of learning how to take care of the inside of me, and I WILL succeed. This may be one of the most challenging things on my list of things to do, but it is the most important.  When will you start to take care of You?






No comments:

Post a Comment