Thursday, March 7, 2013

One Day It Will Just be a Story...a Memory

My boyfriend and I were talking to my pottery teacher one day, and he started talking about how quickly life passes us by. He shared that he and his wife have been married over 50 years and how blessed those years have been.  He looked at us and told us a story about how he had purchased a new vehicle when they were in their 20's, and before even having it a month, his wife backed into something and did some nice damage to the car.

At that time, he was angry. Without saying so, the tone of his voice and the look on his face implied that he was regretful now, for however he had reacted to that situation back then.

He told us that things like that, no matter how big they seem at the time, are very small and insignificant in the big scheme of life.  He said something to the effect of, "be careful of what you choose to get angry about because it probably isn't worth it. One day it will just be a story...a memory."

What I gathered from that, is that when unfortunate things happen, especially related to material items, they really do NOT matter.  Items, big or small, pricey or cheap, are not guaranteed to be around forever and probably were never intended to be around forever.  So, if you waste your energy on being upset over something that happens to any "thing," and hold anger or hatred toward any person that may have inflicted that damage, it is not worth it. Be thankful you were able to acquire that item in the first place, accept things for what they are (since you can't go back in time and change anything), and move on in whatever direction is appropriate.

A very small example, one that happens to SOOOO may people and recently happened to me, is the mystery scratch or dent in a store parking lot.

A few months ago, we got a new truck.  Well, a used truck but pretty new for us. It had a few minor scratches and a couple tiny dings that weren't that noticeable.  Then, one day Joe and I came out of the store and I noticed a new scrape, a bit bigger than any that were already on the truck.  I pointed it out with an "Oh well," attitude. Then I noticed Joe's expression, followed by some cussing and grumbling.  He carried this disappointment and mild anger with him all the way home.  Then brought up that he was still mad later. Then pointed it out and got mad again every time he went to the car and saw it for the next few days.  Finally, I told him something very simple that I say CONSTANTLY!  "Joe. It is what it is. Stop worrying about it." 

I know he can't stand when I say that.  He doesn't fully understand why little things like that don't bother me (anymore). I mean, sure I'd prefer it had never happened, but if there isn't anything that can be done about it, then it's not worth spending energy on it.  Especially negative energy.

Can you learn to start letting go of anger related to life's little mishaps?












No comments:

Post a Comment